Nahargarh Fort was commissioned in the year 1734 by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II, the founder of Jaipur.
It is believed that the fort was cursed by the spirit of Nahar Signh Bhomia, a Rathore prince. The spirit of the prince was not happy with the idea of a fort been built in what where is lands when alive. The legend tells that the construction started and the part of construction that was done in the morning was found completely destroyed the next day.
The Maharaja Sawai Singh constructed a temple inside the fort and dedicated it to him, making the spirit happy once again.
In 1868 Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh turned the fort into a monsoon resort. The fort was a mix of Indo-European architecture styles.
The architect Vidyadhar Bhattacharya, designed a beautiful palace and festooned its interiors it with stucco designs and frescos, primarily seen in a King’s harem, as Nahargarh fort was mainly used as retreat for the royal ladies