Agra Fort was built in 1573, it took more than 4000 workers and eight years to be completed. In 1638, the Mughal dynasty moved from Agra to Delhi, causing the Agra Fort to lose its status as the main residence of the Mughal emperors.
The wall of the fort is about 2 kilometer in perimeter and are 70 feet height.
Within the fort has various palaces, halls, places of worship and a private marketplace for the ladies.
Red sandstone was brought all the way from Rajasthan and that was laid on the external surfaces. Back then, the entire fort was built using the red sandstone.
The Maharaja Shah Jahan was smitten by the beauty of white marble and he destroyed many structures within the fort, only to rebuild them using white marble.
When the British took over the ownership of Agra Fort, much more changes were made to the fort. They destroyed many structures and edifices with historical significances, citing political reasons and for raising barracks.