The Piazza dei Miracoli is a walled 8.87-hectare area located in Pisa, Tuscany, Italy. Center of European medieval art and one of the finest architectural complexes in the world.
Pisa Cathedral built in a Romanesque architecture style, also known as Pisan Romanesque. The construction on the cathedral began in 1063 by the architect Buscheto.
The mosaics of the interior, as well as the pointed arches, show a strong Byzantine influence. The façade, of grey marble and white stone set with discs of coloured marble.
The Baptistery is a round Romanesque building by an architect known as Diotisalvi. its circumference measuring 107.25 m, the portal, facing the façade of the cathedral, is flanked by two classical columns, while the inner jambs are executed in the Byzantine style.
The Campanile is one of the three major buildings on the piazza, the construction of the bell tower began in 1173 and took place in three stages over the course of 177 years, with the bell-chamber only added in 1372.
The tower stands approximately 60 m high, and was built to accommodate a total of seven main bells